Cricket 3 years ago

Ashes 1989 - The Worst Aussie Team Ever - Part Thirteen

  • Ashes 1989 - The Worst Aussie Team Ever - Part Thirteen

Kent v Australians, St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury, 16-18 August 1989


You might also like

Winning inside four days at least gave the Australians a day off before they travelled down to Canterbury to meet Kent.  Kent were one of the counties who had not provided an England player during this summer, but were captained by Mark Benson who played just one test against India in 1986.  They also included future England players, Mark Ealham and Matthew Fleming and their wicket-keeper was future England coach, Paul Farbrace.

Border again sat this match out so Marsh was called upon to skipper the team.  Alderman, Lawson, Hughes and Healy were also rested but perhaps surprisingly Taylor wasn’t.

Benson won the toss and elected to field, giving the locals first view of the all-conquering tourists.  He may have felt vindicated in his decision if he wanted to win the game when the Australians were 35-3 with the two centurions from Trent Bridge, Marsh (2) and Taylor (14) back in the pavilion with just 18 on the board.  Dan Kelleher took all three wickets and the home side were buoyant.  Boon and Jones changed all that.

Boon continued his remarkable run as he passed a thousand runs for the tour with his run of scores in his last four innings being 86, 73, 102 and 76.  He put on 183 with Jones before Ealham had him caught behind by Farbrace for 86.  Waugh was bowled by Kelleher for 1, as his form continued off the boil since Old Trafford.  Reserve keeper, Zoehrer then added 53 with Jones as the Victorian hit his fourth century of the tour.  Jones was finally out to Richard Davis for 128 off 160 balls.  92 of his runs came from boundaries alone as the Canterbury crowd were treated to a masterclass.  Jones first fifty came off 81 balls with his second taking just 56 balls.

Zoehrer and Hohns saw them passed 300 before Zoehrer was stumped by Farbrace off slow left-armer, Mark Dobson for 32.  The Aussie tail wagged as Hohns and May added 42 before May became Dobson’s second victim for 24.  At the end of the first day Australia were 353-8.

Rain stopped play after just three minutes of action on the second morning and during the break the Australians declared their innings at 356-8.

Before lunch the home side had been reduced to 15-2 as Rackemann struck twice having Benson lbw for 3 and South African, Roy Pienaar, caught by Taylor without scoring.  Trevor Ward and Simon Hinks settled things down a bit and scored quite freely but then Waugh had Ward caught behind for 32 off 31 balls.  Longley was next out as the home side just crept over the hundred mark, when Campbell got him for 10.  It was the first of three wickets for Campbell as he also bowled Fleming for 7 and then had Dobson lbw for 2 and Kent were 106-6.  Farbrace helped Hinks add almost fifty before the tea break but they were well short of the follow-on target.

Hinks was bowled by May for 85 after tea and had batted for over three hours, having hit 17 fours.  He and Farbrace had added 67 for the seventh wicket and his departure meant the end.  Farbrace followed soon after, also to May for 35 and May picked up his third wicket when he had Ealham caught by Boon for 7.  Campbell wrapped things up with the wicket of Kelleher, to give him four for the innings and Kent were all out for 191, still 15 short of the follow-on.

Hinks and Benson batted with more certainty second time round but just as the close of play approached Moody found the edge of Hinks’ bat and he was out for 16 with 42 on the board.  Richard Davis had been sent in as nightwatchman and he lasted three quarters of an hour before May got him for 11.  May also then got the wicket of Pienaar for 7 and Kent were 81-3, still 84 behind.  Benson and Ward then added 68 to give the home side hope of at least making the tourists bat again.  Ward was a little more circumspect this time but again fell in the thirties (36) when he looked on for a bigger score.  Moody had him caught by Marsh and then two balls later had Longley lbw.  He followed this up by also trapping Fleming lbw first ball and Kent were suddenly 149-6 and still trailing.

Dobson joined Benson and at last they went into the lead and started to build a decent partnership.  They put on 68 in 100 minutes before Rackemann had Dobson caught by Waugh for 33 and then Campbell enticed Benson to find the same fielder for a well deserved 106.  The Kent skipper had batted for over five and a half hours facing 274 balls and had taken his side to into the lead.  Rackemann then had the wicket of Farbrace for 1 but Kelleher and Ealham were able to repel the tourists for almost an hour before the two captains shook hands and the game was drawn.  It ended Australia’s run of five successive wins but they were already warming down with the Ashes won and England on the rack.


Essex v Australians, County Ground, Chelmsford, 19-21 August 1989


Next day Australians travelled the short distance from Canterbury to Chelmsford for their final county game.  Border, Lawson, Healy and Hughes returned, with Marsh and Taylor earning a rest.  Essex were captained by Graham Gooch, who’d been sent back to his county to score some runs after the Fourth Test.  They also included a young Mark Waugh in their ranks, as well as Nasser Hussain, yet to be capped by England.  Their bowling attack included former England paceman, John Lever and John Childs who’d been England’s oldest debutant when he took his bow against West Indies twelve months earlier. 

Border won the toss, chose to bat and opened with Boon and Zoehrer.  The reserve keeper was first out for 13 when Lever had him caught by Waugh but then Moody and Boon took charge of events with a partnership of 167 for the second wicket.  Moody reached his first half-century for nine innings and was out bowled by Nadeem Shahid for 80.  Steve Waugh was then lbw to Childs for 1 and his miserable run continued.  He was within 100 of passing 1,000 runs for the tour yet he’d scored nine runs from his last four innings.  Border then came in against the county he’d spent the last two seasons with and rattled off a quick 40 off 47 balls with 4 fours and 2 sixes.  The partnership with Boon contributed 52 as Border dominated.  Boon and Jones then were equally entertaining as they put on 133 for the fifth wicket.

Childs took the wicket of Boon, who’d scored an excellent 151.  He’d faced 242 balls hitting 24 fours and 2 sixes, which meant 108 runs had come from fours and sixes.  Boon had now passed fifty in each of his last five innings on tour, and this was his third century of the tour and his highest score.  Jones was out soon after, giving Childs his third wicket, for 70 off 72 balls.  He’d hit 6 fours and 3 sixes.  Jones fifty had come off 37 balls.

Australia were then 376-6 and when Hughes was out they declared on 387-7.   They’d batted for just 93 overs and the Chelmsford crowd had certainly had their money’s worth.  Mark Waugh had the honour of taking the final wicket to fall.

Gooch had been in decent form since the Fourth Test, scoring 76 and 65 in the two county games he’d played in and when he and John Stephenson opened the innings he was by far the more fluent.  They put on 36 with Stephenson contributing just 3 before Lawson took two wickets in two balls having Stephenson lbw and then bowling Shahid.  At the end of the first day Essex were 43-2, still 344 behind.

The second morning belonged to Gooch and Paul Prichard as the two maintained the scoring rate of the first day.  Gooch was out caught by Border off Hughes for 58 having hit 10 fours.  But there was more to come as Mark Waugh joined Prichard and they added 90 together.  Prichard was caught behind by Healy off Lawson for 86, having hit 12 fours and a six.  Hussain then fell to Hughes for 14 before Waugh really laid into the Aussie attack.  The partnership between Waugh and Hardie was a pretty one-sided affair as they added 55 in 63 minutes, as Hardie contributed just 9.  When Waugh reached his 100 off 165 balls Gooch declared the innings closed, 97 runs behind.  Waugh’s first fifty had come off 91 balls with his second fifty coming off 54.

When the Aussies batted a second time they were even more aggressive than they had been on the first day.  They opened with the two wicket-keepers, Healy and Zoehrer and the two had a great time putting on 89 before Healy was bowled by Waugh for 45.  At the end of the second day they’d progressed to 130-2 as Zoehrer scored his first half-century of the tour off 72 balls.

On the third morning Zoehrer and Steve Waugh took their partnership to 131 for the second wicket as they flayed the attack, including Steve’s brother, to all parts.  Zoehrer looked as if a century was on but then Shahid had him lbw for 93.  He’d faced 142 runs hitting 12 fours.  Steve Waugh then ended his poor form when he brought up his century off 101 balls, hitting 18 fours and 2 sixes.  It had been a destructive innings with 90 runs coming from fours and sixes.  His first fifty coming off 69 balls and his second off just 32.  It was his fourth century of the tour and he’d now passed thousand runs.  Border closed the innings on 258-2, having only batted for 53.1 overs.  This left the home side needing 356 to win.

Australia’s final county match of a long tour had reached the final innings and Border unleashed Lawson and Hughes on the Essex batsmen to try and win the game.  Hughes bowled Stephenson for 3 and then did the same to Hardie for 8 before Lawson bowled Gooch for 21 and the home side were 40-3.  Nasser Hussain hit a quick 31 off 38 balls before he was fourth out when Hughes also bowled him.  87-4 chasing 356 wasn’t a great foundation but Prichard and Mark Waugh counter-attacked with 82.  Prichard passed his fifty off 101 balls, hitting 8 fours but then he became Lawson’s second victim for 52.

Garnham then fell soon after when Lawson also had him lbw and two wickets had fallen for six runs.  Waugh and Shahid took the home side towards 200 but any hopes they had of winning, let alone drawing, the game went very quickly.  Mark Waugh had again looked head and shoulders above the rest of his teammates and he passed fifty for the second time in the match off 62 balls having hit 6 fours and a six.  Hughes picked up his fourth wicket when he had Waugh caught by Jones for 57 and Essex were 193-7.  Shahid fell next over to May for 10 and when Lever was out three balls later to May the end was in sight.  Don Topley, Reece’s father, was last out as Hughes got his third five wicket haul of the tour and it was appropriate that Lawson took the catch as the two had taken eight wickets between them and Essex were all out for 205.  The Australians won by 150 runs.


It had been a great performance to bowl Essex out on the last day and set them up well for the final test, and it seemed a long time since their defeat at Worcester back in May.



Previous Episodes

Part Twelve - Fifth Test

Part Eleven - Tour matches v Notts & Leics

Part Ten - Fourth Test

Part Nine - Four tour matches including Hants & Gloucs

Part Eight - Third Test

Part Seven - Tour matches v Universities & Glamorgan

Part Six - Second Test

Part Five - Tour matches v Lancs & Northants

Part Four - First Test

Part Three - Tour matches v Warwicks & Derbys

Part Two - Texaco Trophy One-Day International Series

Part One - Opening tour matches

0 0
please wait...