Cricket 3 years ago

Ashes 1989 - Worst Aussie Team Ever - Part Six

  • Ashes 1989 - Worst Aussie Team Ever - Part Six

SECOND CORNHILL TEST England v Australia, Lord’s 22-27 June 1989

Australia made one change for the Second Test from the side which was so dominant at Headingley.  Leg-spinner, Trevor Hohns, came in for medium-pacer, Greg Campbell.  Campbell had been disappointing at Headingley (1-85) but could consider himself a little unlucky after he took seven wickets v Lancashire immediately after.  His nineteen wickets had come at 23.74 whereas Hohns had taken just eight wickets at 34.63.  But they wanted a spin option having chosen seam in the First Test, so Hohns was in for his third test appearance.

England had more problems of their own.  Lamb injured a finger in the tour match against Australians, but Gatting was now fit so they swapped.  Having made the mistake of leaving out Emburey at Headingley he was restored and Graham Dilley was fit again, so he came in to replace Newport who had an Achilles injury.  Yorkshire’s Paul Jarvis was preferred to Phil De Freitas too but England still missed the services of Botham.

You might also like



Gower again won the toss but this time decided to bat first.  1934 was the last time England beat Australia at Lord’s and their only win against the Aussies in the 20th century at ‘the home of cricket’.  Gooch and Broad again opened up against Alderman and Lawson and reached 31 before Broad fell to the rapidly familiar lbw b Alderman.  Barnett, who’d batted well at Headingley, only contributed 18 before Hughes had him caught by Boon.  Six runs later Mike Gatting went the same way, when he faced his first ball.  58-3 was not the way to get back into the series but Gooch and Gower saw them safely through to lunch.

LUNCH: England 88-3 (Gooch 36*, Gower 14*)

Gooch and Gower eventually took their fourth wicket partnership to 73 before Gooch was caught behind by Healy off Waugh for 60.  He had brought up his fifty off 115 balls, hitting 7 fours.  Gower then reached his fifty off 54 balls, also hitting 7 fours and he and Robin Smith were approaching their fifty partnership when Lawson bowled him for 57.  Gower had decided attack was the best policy but England were now 180-5.  Emburey, batting at seven, survived just two balls before Alderman bowled him and when Smith was caught by Hohns off Lawson for 32, England were 191-7 and had lost 11-3.  Jack Russell, as he had done at Headingley, batting with sense and calm as he and Foster made it to tea

TEA: England 212-7 (Russell 16*, Foster 6*)

Russell batted well after tea, initially with Foster, who hit three boundaries and Jarvis before he added 33 with Dilley for the last wicket.  Russell reached his fifty off 63 balls, with 8 fours and ended unbeaten on 64 off 115 balls.  Hughes took the wickets of Foster and Jarvis to give him 4-71 for the innings, with Alderman taking 3-60.  Hughes was warned by Dickie Bird for overdoing the bouncer at England’s tailenders, with Foster’s helmet grill having already been smashed by one.

ENGLAND: 286 (Russell 64*, Gooch 60, Gower 57; Hughes 4-71, Alderman 3-60)

There was only time for a couple of overs which Marsh and Taylor negotiated without any trouble.  The day belonged to Australia and England were now going to have to bowl very well to get back into the match, let alone the series

CLOSE OF PLAY (DAY ONE) AUSTRALIA: 4-0 (Marsh 3*, Taylor 1*)



England got off to a great start when Dilley found Marsh’s edge for 3 and Russell took a brilliant diving catch.  But they weren’t able to make it count for the rest of the morning.  Taylor and Boon again batted well as they had in the second innings at Headingley.  They added 77 before the break.

LUNCH: Australia 83-1 (Taylor 34*, Boon 40*)

Boon reached his half-century first, off 99 balls with 7 fours.  Taylor soon followed him off 128 balls, hitting 6 fours.  They took their partnership to 145 as the sun had come out and conditions were really good for batting.  Neil Foster took the wicket of Taylor trapping him lbw for 62, giving him 258 runs for the series from just three innings.  At the break they were only 118 behind with eight wickets in hand.

TEA: Australia 168-2 (Boon 77*, Border 15*)

Boon was nearing his century when Dilley got him to edge one to Gooch for 94, his highest score in England on his second tour.  Then Border was caught by Smith off Emburey for 35 and when Jones was then lbw to Foster for 27, Australia were now 235-5 and still 33 in arrears.  Healy batted for 41 minutes for just 3 runs before Jarvis took his first wicket.  This was Jarvis’ first test appearance since England were last at Lord’s against West Indies twelve months earlier.  Australia ended the day still behind and England had bowled much better in the evening session to give them a chance of keeping the tourists in check, but Waugh was still there and they needed to get him out early in the morning.

CLOSE OF PLAY (DAY TWO) AUSTRALIA 276-6 (Waugh 35*, Hughes 2*)


Saturday of the test can so often be pivotal in a match, or indeed a series, and this day was no different.  Waugh and Hughes batted with assurance, with Waugh looking particularly permanent.  The two added 55 to take their seventh wicket partnership to 66 as Waugh passed his fifty off 91 balls, with 7 fours.  At the other end Hughes was having fun plundering 30 before Foster claimed his third wicket.  Hohns continued in the same vein as he went past his highest test score (9) and added fifty with Waugh.  Emburey bowled him right on the stroke of lunch and Australia’s lead was almost three figures.

LUNCH: Australia 381-8 (Waugh 90*, Lawson 0*)

If England’s openers were having thoughts of getting ready to bat again just after lunch, things turned decidedly pear-shaped as this was undeniably Australia’s session.  Waugh reached his second consecutive century off 166 balls, hitting 12 fours.  Lawson’s previous 62 test innings had seen him pass fifty just three times.  He would reach that landmark again off 55 balls with 9 fours and then beat his previous highest score of 57.  The 400 came up, so did the 450 and when they reached 500 England were almost dead on their feet.  Lawson was eventually out when Broad caught him off Emburey for 74.  He’d put on 130 for the ninth wicket with Waugh and the Aussies were in complete command.  Alderman then became Emburey’s fourth wicket of the innings and the Australians had posted a formidable 528, to lead England by 142.  Waugh had ended the innings unbeaten again as he had at Headingley, with 152 off 330 balls with 17 fours.  He now had 329 runs for the series and was yet to lose his wicket.  This would prove to be the series when Waugh finally came of age as a test player.  Not bad for a player who arrived on these shores yet to reach a century from 41 innings.

TEA: ENGLAND: 286 (Russell 64*, Gooch 60, Gower 57; Hughes 4-71, Alderman 3-60)

AUSTRALIA 528 (Waugh 152*, Boon 94, Lawson 74, Taylor 62; Emburey 4-88, Foster 3-129)

Australia lead by 242

To drive home their advantage Alderman had Gooch lbw just three balls into England’s reply, for his hundredth Test match wicket.  He then had Barnett caught by Jones for 3 and when Broad was bowled by Lawson for 20, England were precariously 28-3.  Broad had tried to counter-attack with four boundaries but his dismissal had them in all sorts of trouble.  Gatting and Gower, the current and former skippers, negotiated their way to the close but England knew they were so far behind their opponents again in just the second match of the series.

What followed has become legendary for David Gower.  The press conference was held in a marquee on the Lord’s lawn and the England captain faced a number of questions about his tactics, some from former Test cricketers turned journalists.  But Gower appeared agitated by all this and suddenly announced he was bored of it all, he had tickets to the theatre, a car waiting and with that he was off.  He was to receive a reprimand from Ted Dexter and he apologised for his behaviour.

CLOSE OF PLAY (DAY THREE) England 58-3 (Gatting 16*, Gower 15*)

England trail by 184 runs



If Gower had been the story off the field on Saturday, he was deservedly the story on the pitch when the game resumed after the rest day on Monday.  He had and Gatting took their partnership to 56 before Gatting was lbw to Alderman, shouldering arms.  These days SkyTV would be running a montage of all Gatt’s dismissals in that fashion, but back then we just smiled and rolled our eyes, but it was becoming a worrying trend.  Robin Smith joined Gower and the pair batted beautifully, not least the captain who brought up his fifty off 111 balls with his 8th four.  The two added 61 before the break to reduce the arrears to less than a hundred and England had finally found some way of competing.

LUNCH: England: 145-4 (Gower 62*, Smith 30*)

England trail by 97 runs

Gower and Smith continued into the afternoon in a similar vein and England were closer and closer to parity.  Gower then brought up his fifteenth Test century off 192 balls with 15 fours.  Smith’s fifty came up off 93 balls with 9 fours and the pair took their partnership to 139 when Hughes got one to lift and Gower fended it off to his opposite number for a fine innings of 106.  England’s lead was now 70 and although they were halfway through their second innings, there was at least some hope of making Australia work for their second test win. 

At this stage Russell was the ideal partner for Smith as he had shown here and at Headingley that he wasn’t going to be an easy wicket to get.  Smith passed his highest test best of 66 just before tea and things were still nervous for the home side as they were still behind, but if these two could build something after the break there was some hope.

TEA: England 235-5 (Smith 71*, Russell 2*)

Australia lead by 3 runs

Smith and Russell did continue after tea and took their partnership to 51 before Russell was caught by Boon off Lawson for 29.  He’d batted for 73 minutes and helped England move ahead in the game.  England’s lead was precarious 32 and just as Smith was dreaming of a maiden Test ton, Alderman returned to produce an absolute beauty to bowl him for 96.  He’d batted for over four and a half hours, hitting 16 fours and England were now 300-7 with a lead of just 58.  Alderman then removed any feint hopes England might have of a decent lead as Smith was the first of three wickets in sixteen balls as Foster and Jarvis were both lbw and England has slumped from 300-6 to 314-9.  Alderman now had six wickets, his second five wicket haul of the series.  Emburey and Dilley batted through to the close and at least the fifth day crowd would see some cricket but the atmosphere around the place was pretty down with the prospect of going 0-2 down to a side they should’ve been beating with comfort.

CLOSE OF PLAY (DAY FOUR): England: 322-9 (Emburey 21*, Dilley 4*)

England lead by 80



A sizeable crowd turned up for the final day.  Remember, it was only eight years since the miracle of Headingley 1981 and any time Australia were ever set between 100-130 there was always hope of a recurrence.  Emburey and Dilley dealt in boundaries, taking the lead into treble figures lasting until midday when Hughes took the final wicket, having Dilley caught by Boon for 24.  Emburey was left 36 not out and 359 gave Australia 118 to win.

In 1981 at Headingley they needed 130 to win and failed then at Edgbaston they were set 151 and failed again.  Add to the fact there was rain threatened and things weren’t completely hopeless for England.  Alderman finished with six wickets, giving him nine in the match and already fourteen in two matches.

ENGLAND: 286 (Russell 64*, Gooch 60, Gower 57; Hughes 4-71, Alderman 3-60)

AUSTRALIA 528 (Waugh 152*, Boon 94, Lawson 74, Taylor 62; Emburey 4-88, Foster 3-129)

ENGLAND 359 (Gower 106, Smith 96; Alderman 6-128)

Australia require 118 to win

A violent thunderstorm delayed proceedings until 2.25pm.  Marsh was bowled by Dilley early to continue his poor form in the series, 26 runs in four innings.  Taylor and Boon took them past fifty before Taylor edged a good one from Foster to Gooch for 27.  In contrast to Marsh, his opening partner, Taylor now had 285 in four innings.  Then came one of the most romantic moments of the series.  Eighteen-year-old Robin Sims was on the Lord’s groundstaff and had come on to field in place of Smith, who had a damaged hamstring, and was fielding at long leg.  Border had only scored one before he pulled one from Foster to long leg Sims held onto the catch.  Legendary radio programme Test Match Special had just introduced their ‘Champagne Moment’ in this series and Sims was easily the most deserving recipient for this match.  When Foster had Jones caught behind without scoring, Australia were now 67-4 and there were murmurings in the crowd.

But there was to be no repeat of the fairytale as Boon and Waugh saw the visitors home and they now had a commanding 2-0 lead and were now just one win away from regaining the Ashes they last held at in 1985.  Boon reached his fifty off 108 balls with 5 fours and he ended unbeaten on 58 with Waugh unbeaten on 21.  Waugh now had scored 350 runs in the series and was yet to be dismissed.  For England, Foster again was the best bowler on view but they were well beaten, again.  For the captain, it was his eighth successive defeat in two spells as England captain and despite his brilliant batting at Lord’s, his honeymoon period was definitely over.

ENGLAND: 286 (Russell 64*, Gooch 60, Gower 57; Hughes 4-71, Alderman 3-60)

AUSTRALIA 528 (Waugh 152*, Boon 94, Lawson 74, Taylor 62; Emburey 4-88, Foster 3-129)

ENGLAND 359 (Gower 106, Smith 96; Alderman 6-128)

AUSTRALIA: 119-4 (Boon 58*; Foster 3-39)

Australia won by six wickets and lead 2-0.


Part Five - Tour matches against Lancs and Northants

Part Four - First Test Match

Part Three - Build-up to First Test

Part Two - Texaco One-Day Series

Part One - Opening matches of tour


0 0
please wait...